Gothic Laura Ingalls goes Dutch

Since I was close to a sunstroke 2 weeks ago I decided it was time for another good sunhat. I am currently working on some different designs.
Keeping in mind that my head is actually quite large I wanted a shape that would not be so size-related.

In mind came Laura Ingalls' yellow bonnet (too many reruns of The Little House On The Prairie =^x^= ), but in a kawaii fabric version. This option will also be explored in the future.

But now I got side tracked by the idea of combining it with Dutch traditional folk wear.
In Dutch tradional costume the women often have a lace hat or bonnet. And particularly in Zeeland they sometimes wear starch striped, floral or plaid fabric to cover chest and shoulders. This is for instance the case in Spakenburg. I decided to use that starch printed fabric for the hat to emphasis the simple lines.



Bonnet

The shimmery "mirrors" completed the Dutch influence.
Thank you, kraplap: to also be an inspiration to this design with the weekly challenge for the European StreetTeam.

There will be more bonnets and sunhats coming into my Etsy store soon!

Comments

kraplap said…
Ik vind de combinatie van bonnet met die hollandse stoffen zo leuk; en die spiegeltjes maken het af !

Popular posts from this blog

Sewing project for knitters: an interchangeable needle case.

DIY ear cushions for headphone / Crochet pattern

Sew Along - Worlds End Drape Shirt - part 1