Sewing project for knitters: an interchangeable needle case.
I treasure my interchangeable circular needles. They are easy for adding needle length when knitting large shawls. And you always have all needle size/length combinations at hand.
My circular needle set is from KnitPro, but there are other brands who carry them, like HiyaHiya.
The only size that didn't work for me was 3mm. The wooden tips kept breaking. Steel points are better for me when thin needles are required. But for everything 3.5mm and up I am very content with Knit Pro.
Keeping the needles loose in a basket was not an ideal storage solution. I needed to keep them out of reach from our cat Dita as she has been caught stealing wooden crochet hooks and sock needles before. But searching for a pair of the same size in the basket became a bit of a nuisance.
Google brought me to the blog Life According to Missus Vonkysmeed . She posted a sewing pattern for a needle case.
I read the whole pattern description twice to make sure I understood all the steps to take. For the insertion of the zipped notion pocket I looked at the tutorial by Lisa of U-Handbag shared in the blog. But I needed some guidance from my sewing reference books to get it to work properly. It was the 4th zip I ever inserted!
For your convenience I add the metric measurements for the materials, as I used them:
- Two 30 cm x 43 cm pieces of fabric for outside of case and for lining (I used basic cotton for all my fabrics)
- 30 cm x 27 cm piece of fabric for cable pocket
- 30 cm x 24 cm piece of fabric for needles pocket
- 30 cm x 20 cm piece of fabric for pocket on bottom flap
- 5 cm x 10 cm piece of fabric for button loop
- 15 cm x 20 cm piece of fabric for zipped pocket lining
- 30 cm x 43 cm piece of interfacing (whichever weight you prefer, I used doubled up lightweight as that was what I had on hand)
- 30 cm x 43 cm piece of batting
- 18 cm zip
The organic fabric with scissors print is from Cloud9 fabrics Mad Mend collection. It is out of print, but you might be able to pick it up somewhere on-line. The dotted cotton is old stash. I am very chuffed with the result.
Next on the To Sew list: a needle role for my DPNs and one for my crochet needles. :-)