DIY December - Day 5 - Quick-to-make Lentil Spread for a healthy sandwich

For the 5th #diydecember (I'll catch  up, I promiss!) I'll share one of my favourite recipes. And it is super easy as well!
As bread and cracker spreads go I never was much of a sweet tooth. But I really wanted to cut down on my cheese consumption a couple of years ago.
Now there are a lot of vegetable spreads available in the shops, but they tend to be quite expensive.

So I created my own:
Quick-to-make Lentil Spread

Bring half a liter of water with vegetable stock to a boil. 
Add 150 gram of red lentils. When the water is back to boiling lower the fire and put the lid on. Leave smothering at a low heat for about 10 to 15 minutes. Do occasionally stir and make sure if there is still enough water in the pan. Turn of the heat. If there is too much water, pour away the access. Leave the pan standing with lid on.

In the meantime cut an onion in fine pieces en squish 3 parts of garlic (smoked - optional).
Fry the onion. Add the garlic and spices as you like. My favourite mixture: 1 teaspoon of smaked or spicy paprika powder, 1/2 tsp of ketoembar (coriander powder) or fresh coriander, black pepper, 1/2 tsp of garlic powder and a dash of sweet chili sauce. 
But you can create it to your own taste.

Add the lentils to the onion mixture and stir until the water has evaporated and you have a thick spread. Turn of the heat.

Let the spread cool down and then keep it in the fridge in a lidded container.
You will have to eat within a couple of days, but I find that never to be a problem.
=^x^=

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sewing project for knitters: an interchangeable needle case.

DIY ear cushions for headphone / Crochet pattern

Sew Along - Worlds End Drape Shirt - part 1